Professor Sir Andrew Pollard
BSc MBBS PhD Lond, DIC, MRCP (UK); FHEA, FIDSA, FRCPCH, MA, FMedSci
Professor Sir Andrew Pollard
Professor of Paediatric Infection and Immunity
ANDREW J POLLARD, FRCPCH PhD FMedSci, is Professor of Paediatric Infection and Immunity at the University of Oxford, Director of the Oxford Vaccine Group, Fellow of St Cross College and Honorary Consultant Paediatrician at the Children’s Hospital, Oxford, UK. He obtained his medical degree at St Bartholomew’s Hospital Medical School, University of London in 1989 and trained in Paediatrics at Birmingham Children’s Hospital, UK, specialising in Paediatric Infectious Diseases at St Mary’s Hospital, London, UK and at British Columbia Children’s Hospital, Vancouver, Canada. He obtained his PhD at St Mary’s Hospital, London, UK in 1999 studying immunity to Neisseria meningitidis in children and proceeded to work on anti-bacterial innate immune responses in children in Canada before returning to his current position at the University of Oxford, UK in 2001. He received the Bill Marshall award of the European Society for Paediatric Infectious Disease (ESPID) in 2013 for his contribution to the specialty and the ESPID Distinguished Award for Education & Communication in 2015.
He chaired the UK’s National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) meningitis guidelines development group, and the NICE topic expert group developing quality standards for management of meningitis and meningococcal septicaemia. He chairs the UK Department of Health’s Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation and the European Medicines Agency scientific advisory group on vaccines and is a member of WHO’s SAGE. His research includes the design, development and clinical evaluation of vaccines including those for meningococcal disease and enteric fever and leads studies using a human challenge model of (para)typhoid. He has a particular interest in the development of B cell immunity in early childhood. He runs surveillance for invasive bacterial diseases and studies the impact of pneumococcal vaccines in children in Nepal. He also leads a project on burden and transmission of typhoid in Nepal, Bangladesh and Malawi, and trials of typhoid vaccines in South Asia. He has supervised 37 PhD students and his publications include over 500 manuscripts and books on various topics in paediatrics and infectious diseases.
Andrew also leads the clinical trials of Oxford's coronavirus vaccine in the UK, South Africa and Brazil. He previously served as the College's Vice-Master.
As Director of the Oxford Vaccine Group, Professor Pollard has played a critical role in the development of the 'ChAdOx1 nCoV-19' vaccine, the University of Oxford's vaccine for COVID-19. Pollard is the Chief Investigator for the study. Updates on his research will be posted here.
- 'Jabbed': The inside story of Oxford Covid-19 Vaccine - 11 May 2021
- BBC Panorama tells the story of the Oxford vaccine - 14 December 2020
- Oxford vaccine is effective against COVID-19 - 23 November 2020
- Oxford vaccine could be put before regulators this year - Yahoo, 25 August 2020
- Appearance on ITV News at 10 - 21 July 2020
- Appearance on The Newsroom - 21 July 2020
- New study reveals Oxford coronavirus vaccine produces strong immune response - 20 July 2020
- Covid-19 vaccine being developed by Oxford University 'safe and induces an immune reaction' - ITV, 20 July 2020
- Vaccine Breakthrough - BBC Radio 5 Live, 20 July 2020
- 'A really important milestone' - SkyNews Twitter, 20 July 2020
- Coronavirus vaccine could be ready by end of year if 50,000 people can take part in trials - Telegraph, 20 July 2020
- Vaccines for the control of COVID-19 - Oxford BRC Virtual Lecture, 14 July 2020
- Oxford Vaccine Most Advanced Says WHO Chief Scientist - The Oxford Student, 29 June 2020
- Trial of Oxford COVID-19 vaccine starts in Brazil - 28 June 2020
- Coronavirus, Explained - Netflix Documentary Series, June 2020
- The Duke of Cambridge visits Oxford Vaccine Centre - 25 June 2020
- Trial of Oxford COVID-19 vaccine in South Africa begins - 23 June 2020
- Featured in a video tweeted by the Prime Minister - 19 June 2020
- AstraZeneca to supply 400 million doses of vaccine at no profit - 14 June 2020
- The Race for A Cure: Making Britain Safe - ITV, 21 May 2020
- COVID-19: Do we need more than one vaccine? - Guardian, 13 May 2020
- Clinical trials begin for COVID-19 vaccine developed by team led by Andy Pollard - 24 April 2020
- The Coronavirus Newscast - BBC, 24 April 2020
- Recruitment begins for a clinical trial of a COVID-19 vaccine led by Andy Pollard - 7 April 2020