Please see the St Cross Welfare Document for full details of the support available to you.

If you are unsure who to contact with your welfare concern, please consult the welfare flowchart.  

Junior Deans

The Junior Deans offer advice, help, and guidance to students. 

+ 44 (0)7585 600441 (23:00 - 07:00)


College out-of-hours

Emergencies: if you have a serious medical or mental health issue requiring immediate attention you should call an ambulance or the police on 999 or your GP. If you have registered with the Dr Leaver and Partners (as recommended by the College) you can reach them on 01865 311234.

If the matter does not require medical assistance or the police, call the Junior Deans on + 44 (0)7585 600441, or the Lodge on 01865 278 490.

College during office hours

If any student would like to discuss a matter which is troubling them they are welcome to contact the Bursar at bursar@stx.ox.ac.uk or (2)78497.

Alternatively the Student Welfare Representatives can be contacted on



The LGBTQ representative (stx.lgbtq.rep@stx.ox.ac.uk) can be contacted for any relevant support in dealing with instances of homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, etc. as well as for general issues and difficulties experienced by queer or similarly identified students in the College.The disabilities representative (disability.rep@stx.ox.ac.uk) is available to chat to students about disability-related issues.

The Bursary Administrator can be asked general questions during office hours.

Academic Welfare

Academic Administrator: Sharon Durno (academic.administrator@stx.ox.ac.uk) 


The Academic Administrator acts as the disability coordinator and can help with the administration for any course adjustments needed as well as exam arrangements and applications from students to indicate special personal circumstances during their course including suspension of status.

Any matters relating to College Advisors can also be discussed in confidence with the Academic Administrator.

Financial Welfare

Bursar: John Tranter (bursar@stx.ox.ac.uk)
Bursary Administrator: Jocelyn Larsen (bursary.admin@stx.ox.ac.uk)

The Bursar, supported by the Bursary Administrator, oversees all financial matters and can help students with any queries or concerns regarding their financial status, including payments, loans, etc.

As part of preparation for their courses, it is expected that all students have budgeted for their financial needs and have arranged sources of funding accordingly. However, we recognise that circumstances can change and unexpected financial problems can occur. We encourage students to approach the College promptly if they see such problems emerging – it is generally easier to offer help at an earlier stage. In such circumstances, please contact the Bursary Administrator to arrange a meeting with the Bursar. 

College Counsellor

Laura Evers is the dedicated College Counsellor. Laura is a member of the University Counselling Service team and can offer dedicated appointments for St Cross students from 14:00-17:00 (GMT) on Mondays during term time. Due to the outbreak of COVID-19, these appointments will be offered through Microsoft Teams/Skype during Michaelmas Term 2020. To make an appointment, please contact Laura at counsellor@stx.ox.ac.uk. More information about the University Counselling Service is available at www.ox.ac.uk/students/welfare/counselling. The below videos are a useful introduction to the University's Counselling Service.




Students can also access global support through Togetherall. This free online support service is open to all Oxford students, giving access to a global welfare community moderated by mental healh professionals. It provides a safe space for students to self-manage their mental health and wellbeing. Join via the link and register under "I'm from a university or college" with your Oxford email address. the University will not be informed you have signed up or have any knowledge of students' activities unless there is a serious safety concern.


On rare occasions, a student may request to suspend their studies for a period of time. The University definition is: “Suspension of status within the University ‘stops the clock’ for all elements of your degree, including residence, fees and terms for which a particular status may be held.” The clear understanding is that the student hopes to return after suspension and will then be liable for fees, accommodation charges, etc for the equivalent extended period. Although the individual is suspending their student status, the University states that: “a student with suspended status will retain their University card and Single Sign On access to online resources, including email, and to University libraries, during periods of suspension.”

We expect that it will be normal for students to move away from Oxford (typically back home with family) during suspension. 

For full details, see the College policy for student suspension here.

General Welfare Information

The Student Advice Service, part of the Oxford University Student Union, is an independent advice, information and advocacy service exclusively available to Oxford University Students. The services they offer are free and confidential, further information is available here

Further guidance on how a change of status such as suspension may affect you is available on the University's website here.

Medical Information

The College doctors are Dr Laurence Leaver and Dr Mark O'Shea, based at Dr Leaver and Partners. The College Doctors have prepared an info sheet for freshers, with instructions on how to register at Jericho Health Centre and what to do if you are feeling unwell, as well as an explanation of the NHS for international students who may be unfamiliar with healthcare provision in the UK. They have produced an introductory video for freshers here.

If you have been a victim of sexual violence, or need guidance with advising someone, please see this flowchart.

Personal Safety

Oxford is generally a safe place to live and work but isolated incidents do occur. If you have been the victim of a crime, or witness one, report it immediately to the police by calling 999. If a non-emergency incident takes place on University of Oxford property or land (including any colleges) you should report it to the University’s Security Services via this form

Please also familiarise yourself with the University’s guidance on personal safety which contains advice on sensible precautions to bear in mind whilst out in Oxford, particularly when you are on your own.