Fees and Payments

Payment of Course Fees

St Cross College does not work with third party agencies to let accommodations nor transfer money. Be cautious of potential fraudsters claiming to represent, or work as an intermediary, for the College. If ever in doubt, please contact the Academic Office Team. To learn more about online fraud and cyber crime, then please refer to the Thames Valley Police’s dedicated page on the topic.


Course Fees for Self-Funded Students are to be paid in one instalment by Friday 8 October 2021. Students who do not pay fees will be unable to matriculate (formally join the University). You will be issued with an invoice detailing your course fees in September. 

If you are funded by a UK Government loan you will be sent a composite fee invoice which will detail your Student Finance Loan. You will pay any balance of fees due not covered by your loan by 8 October 2021. For each term that you receive your loan into your bank account, you will be expected to pay the loan amount into the College bank account.
If you are funded by a University Scholarship or Studentship or a College Scholarship which covers 100% of your fees, the College will arrange to contact your Department, and we will arrange the payment of your annual course fees. If your fees are partially funded by either a College or University Scholarship then you will receive an invoice stating the balance of fees that will due to be paid by 8 October 2021.

If you are funded by US Federal Loans, your annual course fees are deducted from your loan in 3 instalments if your course is less than 12 months, or 4 instalments if your course is 12 months or longer.

If your loan covers 100% of fees due, fees will be deducted from each termly loan disbursement and any remaining balance will be paid into your UK bank account.

If your US Federal Loan does not cover 100% of your fees, you will pay the balance of fees due not covered by your loan by 8 October 2021.

Further information regarding the US Federal Loan Process

For the US Loan process, St Cross College is treated as a foreign school, and the US loan application process may be different to any you have gone through in the past. 

The University’s US Loans Team are not automatically notified when a student completes their FAFSA.

In addition to submitting your FAFSA, there are several other steps that you will need you to complete in order to apply for a federal student loan at Oxford. 

Please refer to the how to apply tab on the US loans webpage where you can find a step-by-step guide on the actions you will need to complete.

Foreign schools are also subject to additional regulations, so you should check the eligibility tab on the University's US Loans webpage to see if your course is eligible for US federal funding before applying. Please note that the St Cross College Code is G08394 (University Code).

Once you have completed all the steps listed on the US Loans website and submitted your completed cost of attendance (COA) form, they will be able to review and process your loan application. The US Loans Team will contact you if they require any additional information.

To receive the first instalment of your loan in time for the first scheduled payment of Michaelmas Term 2021, your complete application must be received by 10 September 2021 at the latest in order to be processed in time.

If you have any additional questions regarding your fees or payments please contact the Accounts Manager at accounts.manager@stx.ox.ac.uk

College Expenses (Battels)

The College facilitates many College expenses by offering you a personal ledger of these expenses; this is known as your ‘battels’. This allows you to pay for College lunches, dinners, and various other expenses. 

 All students will be invoiced for a £100.00 battels deposit prior to arrival and must be paid no later than 8 October 2021.

Your £100 battels deposit will be refunded once your course has been completed, all charges have been settled, and keys/fobs returned.

The deposit may be used to set against your final battels account.

Please note that you will not be permitted to Matriculate (become an official student of Oxford University) if fees have not been paid by the due date. To find out how to pay College invoices, please see the menu below.

At the beginning of December, April & August, you will be sent an invoice for all the expenses you have accrued on battels during that term. You will need to pay these invoices by the stated deadline. 

Interest will be charged on late payments at a rate of 2% or £1.00 per month whichever is greater after 30 days.

College Accommodation

Once your Financial Declaration has been approved, you will be sent your Tenancy Agreement which must be signed and dated in order to secure your allocated room. At the same time you will also be sent a Room Rental Deposit Invoice of £550 (single) or £850 (couples).  The Tenancy Agreement together with the Deposit Payment, must be returned within 14 days of the date stated on the invoice. If the Agreement and Payment is not received within 14 days, the room will be allocated to another student.

When the College has received your signed Tenancy Agreement you will be sent a Composite Invoice for 14 weeks’ rental for the period from 27 September (the start date of your Tenancy), October, November & December 2021.  

Payment must be received by Friday 10 September 2021. 

Thereafter rental is payable for 13 weeks, on 1 December 2021 for January to March rental, and for 13 weeks on 1 March 2022 for April to June rental.  Rental for July, August and up to 12 September 2022 will be due on 1 June 2022

If you withdraw from the University of Oxford, then your deposit will be refunded to you in full.

A single payment of £5.25 will be added to your invoice to ensure that your personal possessions are covered by Insurance.

When you have returned your Tenancy Agreement together with your Room Rental Deposit, you accept the room and agree to pay rent for the full tenancy period.

How are you paying your fees?

Expand All

For UK or EU students, the preferred method of payment is directly to the following bank account:

Barclays Bank plc, Account No: 50889199, Sort Code: 20-65-46
Account Name: University of Oxford St Cross
IBAN: GB14BARC20654650889199

Payment may also be made by UK cheque payable to St Cross College.

St Cross College has partnered with Western Union Business Solutions to provide a simple and cost-effective service to pay your fees using a bank transfer whether you are an International or UK student. Please access here.

Using this system will provide you with the following benefits:

  • It allows you to make payment of your fees in your own currency giving you transparency and a clear understanding of the cost of course fee.
  • Obtain a guaranteed exchange rate for a period of up to 72 hours.
  • Make the payment using internet/telephone banking or at your local bank.
  • Ensures that 100% of the funds transferred reach the college and that no expensive bank charges are deducted that may delay your registration.
  • Ensures that the payment can be easily identified and allocated by the College giving you peace of mind.
  • It is a secure and quick way to make the transfer ensuring that the College receives the payment promptly.
  • No charges are made by Western Union Business Solutions or the College for this service.
  • You will be notified upon receipt of your payment.

Please note that direct transfers from an overseas bank account (without using Western Union) may incur charges.
The College must receive the full amount as shown on the invoices for fees, rents and all other expenses. Any bank charges must therefore be paid by the person making the payment - the Remitter.

Contact details

If you have any questions regarding the service, we have arranged for Western Union to provide a dedicated Customer Service team that can aid you with any additional information on the service and its benefits and/or walk you through the process. For any of the above or any other related queries please contact: 
Phone:  +44 (0)1733 294 459
Email:   education@westernunion.com 
Please be aware of the opening hours if making contact by phone: Monday - Friday 8am to 5.30pm UK Time. 

How to pay online:

Once you have accessed the payment service via the link above simply follow the next few steps to complete:

  • Enter your student information. Boxes marked with a * are required. Click 'Next'.
  • Enter the amount(s) of tuition and / or accommodation fees in the relevant fields in £ sterling. Click 'Continue'.
  • Choose your home country, this will automatically convert your fee amount to your home currency (if your home currency is unavailable, it will default to the next best option, e.g. USD). Click 'Continue'.
  • You will be quoted an amount to pay instantly. This amount will be guaranteed for 72 hours.
  • Next, you will be emailed simple instructions in PDF format detailing which bank your fees need to be transferred to in your home country. You can either make this payment using online banking, telephone banking or in person at your bank in the same way that you would make a standard bank transfer. The PDF instructions provided can also be emailed directly to a family member if they are making the payment on your behalf.
  • Accept the conditions of use.

These instructions will contain an important reference that you must ensure your bank quotes when making the payment. This reference allows St Cross College to identify and allocate your fees quickly.