Travel & Research Fund

Academic Travel & Research Fund

All students at St Cross College may apply for Academic Travel & Research Grants of up to £300 a year* while enrolled on a programme at St Cross.

Students can apply to the fund at any point during the academic year in which they are studying with the exception of Trinity term applications which should be submitted by Friday of 8th week.

The activities must take place while the student is enrolled on their programme. In normal circumstances, the College’s Travel & Research Fund supports students who need to travel in order to undertake research or attend conferences. The fund includes provision of support for students needing additional equipment, software or study materials that support studying, working and research that was not anticipated at the start of their programme, for example; software, or journal subscriptions that cannot be arranged through the Librarian. Books, e-books and most journal access should still be requested through the Librarian (

Funding for Academic Skills and Language Courses should be made to the Academic Skills and Languages fund, further information can be found here.

When making an application to the Travel and Research Fund, please provide quotations detailing the cost being applied for. It is at the discretion of the Academic Registrar ( to request a reference from the student’s supervisor or course co-ordinator confirming the suitability of the funding request.

The following should be read carefully and taken into consideration before applying for a grant from the Fund:

1. Funding should be sought for academic or clearly academic-related needs. The Fund cannot support payments or other benefits given to research assistants or survey/experiment participants.

2. Every effort should be made to secure other funding.

3. Grants for sporting activities are not awarded from the Travel and Research Fund; these grants should be applied for via a separate application process and will be considered by the Student Representative Committee.

4. Students who are awarded a grant will be sent a payment request form to facilitate payment. Receipts should be sent to the Academic Office Secretary at

Applications should be made using this form:

Application form

*In exceptional circumstances we may consider requests for higher amounts.  Supervisor recommendation would be required to support such requests.