Please see the St Cross Welfare and Support Document for full details of the support available to you.

Junior Deans

The Junior Deans offer advice, help, and guidance to students. 

St Cross Junior Deans:
Sophia Toumazou & Seth Stadel

07758629747 (11pm - 7am)


College out of hours

Emergencies: if you have a serious medical or mental health issue requiring immediate attention you should call an ambulance or the police on 999 or your GP. If you have registered with the Jericho Health Centre (as recommended by the College) you can reach them on 01865 311234.

If the matter does not require medical assistance, or the police, call the Junior Deans on 07758 629747 or the Lodge on 01865 278490.

College during office hours

If any student would like to discuss a matter which is troubling them they are welcome to contact the Bursar at bursar@stx.ox.ac.uk or (2)78497, or the Senior Tutor at senior.tutor@stx.ox.ac.uk.

Alternatively the Student Welfare Representatives can be contacted on



The Bursary Administrator can be asked general questions during office hours.

Academic Welfare

Senior Tutor: Dr Joanna Ashbourn (joanna.ashbourn@stx.ox.ac.uk)

Academic Administrator: Sharon Durno (academic.administrator@stx.ox.ac.uk) 

The Senior Tutor oversees all academic matters and can help students with any queries or concerns regarding academic progress or course/supervisor issues as well as any general welfare matters that students may wish to discuss confidentially. 

The Academic Administrator acts as the disability coordinator and can help with the administration for any course adjustments needed as well as exam arrangements and applications from students to indicate special personal circumstances during their course including suspension of status.

Any matters relating to College Advisors can also be discussed in confidence with either the Senior Tutor or the Academic Administrator.

College Counsellor

Laura Evers is the dedicated College Counsellor. Laura is a member of the University Counselling Service team and will be on site with us from 2.00-5.00 pm on Mondays during term. She has shared details of how to make an appointment with the Counselling Service here: https://www.ox.ac.uk/students/welfare/counselling/appointment?wssl=1 and can be contacted directly to make an appointment in College by email to counsellor@stx.ox.ac.uk .


On rare occasions, a student may request to suspend their studies for a period of time. The University definition is: “Suspension of status within the University ‘stops the clock’ for all elements of your degree, including residence, fees and terms for which a particular status may be held.” The clear understanding is that the student hopes to return after suspension and will then be liable for fees, accommodation charges, etc for the equivalent extended period. Although the individual is suspending their student status, the University states that: “a student with suspended status will retain their University card and Single Sign On access to online resources, including email, and to University libraries, during periods of suspension.”

We expect that it will be normal for students to move away from Oxford (typically back home with family) during suspension. 

The Student Advice Service, part of the Oxford University Student Union, is an independent advice, information and advocacy service exclusively available to Oxford University Students. The services they offer are free and confidential, further information is available here

September 2017 Update: Oxford City Council will no longer offer an exemption from Council Tax for students who have suspended their studies. The Council previously offered an exemption for all students who have been suspended. However, a discretionary discount will now only be offered if students find themselves in hardship – in which case they can apply under section 13A of the Local Government Finance Act. Students applying for this would be expected to provide evidence of their situation for a discretionary discount to be considered by the City Council. Students who are currently suspended, and who already have an approved council tax exemption in place, will not be affected – unless they move house and make a new council tax claim. The University Student Registry provides details to the City Council of enrolled students and their term-time address in Oxford to facilitate the Council's processing of student exemptions. A student who becomes ineligible for a student council tax exemption, as they no longer have enrolled status, will immediately become liable for payment and the Council will seek recovery of discounts, which may include interest. This liability will commence at the start of the period of suspension.

Medical Welfare Information

Care.data information

 Details on how your personal data is used by the NHS can be found here.